Thursday, August 23, 2012

Diagnosis

We have a diagnosis, Psuedomyxoma Peritonei. However, the good news, is blood work and pathology is all benign, the hard news, is that my doctors are all confused. This is a rare 'cancer' as it is already (1 in 1,000,000), let alone being benign and that there is still a possibility it is not benign.

I haven't met with my oncologist yet, not until the 4th (time is moving much too slowly for us). I have been told that the cellular walls of the tumor are soooo thin, that the pathology could be off, and that they caught this so early, that the tumor markers in the blood work may not be elevated. So we are told it's benign, but there is a possibility it is not. I don't have a surgery date yet, but they will remove the tumor, and also my uterus/ovaries/tubes, appendix, and possibly part of the rectum and any other non vital organs that have been infected or are affected. We are hoping for the week of the 10th, but we're just waiting. (we are told it will be about a 5 hour surgery)

I have an appointment with a dr at Huntsman Cancer Institute on the 31st, for a second opinion (we have one of the best cancer facilities in the US, why not utilize it? and if it's rare, plus more rare with it being benign, a specialist is that much better).

It is soo hard for us to have patience, and to wait, I mean, come on, this destructive foreign substance is growing in my body that is forcing the removal of organs, spreading it's 'seedlings' all over and I have to wait.
We are constantly writing out questions, and the answer to many is, "We will see when we open you up"

Every day is a battle of emotions. There are ups and downs every day (for Jeff too). We have been thinking alot about the tender mercies, the blessings we have. So here are some to share.
~We have AMAZING insurance (ie my surgery cost 13,000$ and we didn't have to pay a dime, or even a penny)
~We found this early, I'm grateful I have followed my gut (no pun intended), that something wasn't right, and to bug and pester my doctors until I got in with one and got the ball rolling.
~Jeff has gotten into new galleries! He took work in to one, and they said, hey let's put you in the show this weekend. And this week, they called and said we want you, we've been following your work for a while. And he's meeting with another in a few weeks. How amazing!
~Modern Technology, from the tape recorder I started taking to my appointments, to the fact that we can biopsy all this stuff in the first place.
~I am young. I have been working so hard this year to become healthy and that is making my battle that much easier.
~I have family so close by. I am so lucky to be able to have family and friends that have been able to watch my kids while I've been getting tests, procedures and dr's appointments. And that the couple of appointments my kids have been to, they've been so good!
~The gospel. What else can one say? The power of the priesthood, prayer, blessings, the atonement. Wow. To have these truths in my life.
~Temple Rolls/prayer. I even have the Mormon Tabernacle Choir praying for us!

3 comments:

  1. as someone with a harrowing medical history myself, i know that there is relief and power in at least having answers and a diagnosis! i'm thankful for that for you. i'm sorry that you have to go through this all the same and we will continue to keep you in our prayers as you go through the next stages! we miss you and love you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Katie! That is scary but I am happy you've got some answers and caught this early. I wish I could be of some help to you. I am glad you can see the blessings still flowing through this trial. Let us know if we can do anything for you guys!
    We love you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sending much love to you and your family. So many blessings, yet so much to face. I am proud of your faith and knowledge that the Lord will be with you. I love you.
    Mardie

    ReplyDelete