I don't think I've blogged about my work. A lot has changed in the last twelve months in my role at work. So it's pretty exciting to me. I've worked for my dad at Mattress Warehouse for over four years now. And the first three, my job was pretty much the same. 5-6 hours a week entering orders and filing and answering phones. Then slowly more and more got added, such as entering bills. Last October, a dear friend of mine started watching the kids once a week so I could go to work for six hours straight, and then the kids still came with me 2 more times during the week. Then my friend started watching them twice a week. Starting late January, a different friend started watching the kids three times a week. So I was working about 15 hours, triple of what i had previously. Then My mother and sister in law started watching the kids once a week, and my friend went back down to two. I usually pop in Wednesday and or Saturday depending on the week as well. So I work 15-20 hours a week now. And I love it. I'm the Office Manager now doing all things that that entails, paying bills, payroll (mainly cutting the checks), and more. I love it and am so happy to have such a great job. I'm also formally trained in sales and our products, so on sale weekends, I'm at the store helping out. I a few years when both kids are in school, I'll be picking up more hours and plan to do some schooling as well in business management. I'm proud of my father and his hard work in the company, and want to contribute as much as I can. Hopefully in the future as well, I can move to a more full time position, and Jeff can work as an artist full time. He has a few shows he's apart of this month alone. He has a solo show two nights with "By Invitation Only", a piece in the annual show he has donated for the past 5 years now, and a piece in a 12x12 show at the Hive Gallery in Trolley Square. He has works online on his website, Ugallery.com Paperworks.com and once these other shows are over, will be shipping pieces to a gallery in Indiana. Managing his art and finding galleries interested, keeping up his website is a full time job, and doesn't get enough attention as it should. So we're working on finding balance there too. We've made a deal though, and it works out pretty well. I do all of the household stuff, cleaning, cooking, so Jeff can paint. It was always a team job, and that has helped him focus and get more time for creating. Naturally, jeff is great and helps with vacuuming and other things to help finish the room. Jeff's 'day job' is demanding a lot of his time and energy so it's been difficult to really pursue the dream job. So he's basically working two full times jobs. Very busy, but we're very proud of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment