Friday, July 15, 2011

By Invitation Only

Last night, we got to go to Salt Lake's Underground  Restaurant,  







By Invitation Only




By Invitation Only is an amazing experience. They have different guest chefs each time, a different guest artist each month, and a different location.


The guest chef was Kaharim Becerra
7 years at the Grand America, Chef at a 5star, 5 diamond resort in Montana, Executive Chef at Fridas Bistro winning Best Food 2011 - Now the Executive Chef of SLC's newest Fine Dinning Restaurant -Vuz Restaurant and Vuda Bar! He and is family are French born, but raised in Mexico, and then he has settled in Utah and specializes in American Foods with twists of french and or mexican thrown in. 

The guest artist was none other than Jeffrey Hale

And the location varies from homes, restaurants, art galleries. This time was at here.


This was a new and amazing experience for us. The people that go to these are so upper class it was amazing. We were placed at a table with the other non drinkers, so that was nice. The cost was 75$ per person.  I've eaten at Little America and Grand America, but the food they served was like nothing I've ever seen or tasted. They also have a professional photographer at each event. So in a week or so, I'll be able to pull pictures off of facebook and share them.

Appetizer was a raw white fish something (i don't remember the name) served with cucumber, a tomato pesto and some sort of jellied jalapenos. The salad was unlike any salad I've ever seen. It only had a few sprigs of some leafy thing, but it was very tasty, had a white beet, some other unique kind of beet, had a goat cheese and saffron sauce.  And something I don't remember the technical term, but it was a hard very salty type of bacon. It was delicious. The saffron sauce was quite different, not my favorite just  different. The next course was fresh wild Alaskan salmon with fancy sauces, and some unique potato pearls again, the name was something I don't know, but it is very hard to cook, and takes all day to cook. The next dish was a fillet Mignon that truly melted in your mouth. With some sort of fancy potato, roasted grape tomatoes, and that veggie that is a cross between cauliflower and broccoli. Then for dessert was an elegant cheesecake. 

The photographer took pictures of the food. So I'm totally going to post those too.  I knew early on that there was a good chance that fish would be served. So I had planned ahead to be a good sport. And I was. I ate a few bites of the raw fish, and at least 1/4 of the salmon, and the serving was huge! But Jeff happily ate the rest of that and my cheesecake. We got to sit at the table with family members from the organizer of By Invitation Only. So it was neat to learn about others, hear about their interest and praise for art. And just meet new people!

Jeff is going again tonight where there are double the people there were last night. They had a professional wait staff as well. An amazing and unique experience! Oh, and they also had a live band that started to play after dinner. It was a bit hard for a dinner party, meaning it was loud and made it difficult to talk, but still awesome. 

2 comments:

  1. How did you handle the GF aspect with all the unknown foods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The organizer spoke to the chef the day before. and actually it was ALL gluten free, even the cheesecake. It had no crust.

    ReplyDelete