Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It's been a long and rough for the last couple weeks.

Most know a couple weeks ago my uncle passed away  very unexpectedly.  It was difficult to swallow. My uncle was very dear to me. He was a great model, influence and hero to me and many around him.

I had the opportunity after high school to go and work for him at his Oral and Maxillofacial surgery office in a suburb of Seattle. I went the day after I graduated and stayed until three days before school started at BYU Idaho. I drove with him to work nearly every day. He asked about boys, what I wanted to do with school and just about anything else. I was shy at first. We've never lived in the same state, so I didn't know him very well. I will never forget what I've learned from him. And I will always be grateful for the time I did get to spend with him and his family. He had an amazing sense of humor, a constant desire to do good and help others. At the funeral, and many other times I heard stories of how amazing he was as a bishop to the youth, and I felt a little of that. I was going to institute while there and I had mention that this one guy wasn't going, so I couldn't get a ride, he called him up that instant to pester him about it! (believe me, I never mentioned things like that again) But it showed how dearly he cared for the youth to stay on the straight and narrow.

I was able to go with my family. Jeff stepped up and there was no question that I couldn't go. I rode with my parents and sister, and spent five wonderful days with family (2 of which driving). Despite the circumstances, it was a wonderful time. It was fun in that we had chances to sit and tell stories about my uncle. We had time to play some games. We spent Labor Day (after the viewing) playing at a lake! I miss seeing my cousins. Some it had been one year, some it had been 3 and four. Some it was just days. It was wonderful to catch up with everyone.

It was a wonderful opportunity to witness tender mercies, the love from the ward, the charity from the Relief Society, and to gain understanding and peace. Prior to my uncle, I had only lost my grandfather three years before. It was expected, and it was an answer to prayers to release him from his mortal body. I didn't know if this would be the same. And it has been in every way. I always want to remember the peace I felt.
 I did feel like I was crying for two weeks. I cried before we left, and every day while I was gone. And then with the Sept 11th anniversary.
I'm so grateful for the love of our Heavenly Father and Savior.  With the knowledge they have given us of the plan of happiness, has made these last sad weeks, peaceful and full of hope and love and gratitude.

Sorry that was so long. And I have no pictures. I didn't take our camera (Jeff needed it) and even if I did, we still have problems with iphoto we can't afford to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment