Saturday, September 8, 2012

Psuedomyxoma

I don't have Psuedomyxoma peritonei, and I'm so grateful for that, and here is why:

PMP is scary. It is unlike any other cancer. It is a tumor, that spreads more little tumors throughout the abdominal cavity and attaches to organs. Those organs have to be removed or if they're vital, they strip off parts. It's not curable. Traditional Chemotherapy doesn't work, b/c it is such a slow growing tumor.  It compresses all the organs as the mucous builds up in the cavities.  The only way to really treat it is to have surgery every 1-3 years to removing the growing tumors. It has a 50% mortality rate in 5 years and 95% in 10.

I am so lucky that this is not the case. I'm so grateful I have 2 teams of doctors looking after me.  My Huntsman doctor called this week, and they felt it was important to review the pathology in more depth. An assistant called me yesterday to let me know that after further review, they are now sure, that I don't have PMP.

I have just a small glimpse of empathy for all of those that have been diagnosed.  It would be so hard to enjoy the quality of life with an expiration date over my head. So at the same time, I am amazed at the happiness those with cancer have. Their positivity, their courageousness, their endurance. Wow. I did have a few days of acceptance of understanding, of no fear, of positivity.

Again, I have so much gratitude, so much humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment